Monday, April 24, 2006

Training for the 3 Day

It's been 3 weeks since I decided to sign up for the 60 mile walk. I have 29 weeks to train for my walk. I've made a point of going to the gym just about every other day since I signed up. Sometimes more often. I went running with a neighbor, which was interesting. He was running so that he could get ready for his PRT. I haven't run for exercise since 1993. I made it 1/4 mile before I had to stop running and walk. I was nver a very good runner, but I didn't realize that I'd be that far out of shape! I'm glad I signed up so early for the 3 Day so that I have plenty of time to get ready. I can see that I have my work cut out for me.

I have big goals for my 3 Day. In addition to fundraising and training, I'm trying to lose weight. I think 25 lbs is a reasonable goal in 30 weeks. Losing that will still put me in the overweight category, but if I keep up my practice I'm hoping I can make the exercise a part of my lifestyle.

Life has been busy too. We have had a house built and should be closing on it in the next week or two. That means it's time to pack up our belongings again and move to a new household. It's our second move in 11 months. Hopefully this one will last for a while! Somewhere between 3 and 9 years anyway.

I've also been busy with school classes. This semester is Microbiology and Nutrition. I've held on to a 98 average in my Microbiology class and an A in Nutrition as well. Micro is great, but I don't like Nutrition as much as I enjoyed Sociology and Psychology last semester. For my Psychology class I took an interesting IQ test. What is your IQ? Take this free online IQ Test to find out! I printed the questions and results and took them in to class too. Everyone in class had fun trying the questions themselves.

I plan on taking Anatomy and Physiology during the summer session. Those should be interesting as 10 week summer classes. Nothing like a fast pace challenge! After those two classes I'll have all my prerequisites done for the nursing program that I'll start in the fall.

So far my 3 Day fundraising has gone well, but it's been pretty slow the past week and a half. I've raised $180 dollars out of the $2200 I need by the event. I still have at least $2020 to go. I'd love to have large donations, but the reality is that most people can't afford to give $1000 or $500 to every cause that comes there way. A lot of people can't even afford $100, but I think that $10-$50 is usually available. $10-$50 is equivalent to giving up one fast food dinner or one restaurant dinner for most couples. The money goes to support treatment and research for a disease that impacts everybody in the United States in some way. Breast Cancer is the most frequently diagnosed cancer in women and the second most common cause of death. It is also one of the most treatable, curable cancers if it is caught in the early stages. More than 200,000 women will be diagnosed this year and about 40,000 women will die from the disease. Just about everyone knows a woman that has been diagnosed with this disease. Our mothers, sisters, aunts, daughters, friends, aquaintances, co-workers, and neighbors are all at risk. Some even know men that have been diagnosed with the disease. That's right, I said men. They can get breast cancer too. Approximated 1500 men in the US are diagnosed with the disease each year and 400 men will die of breast cancer. These are a few of the reasons that I walk, and (I hope) a few of the reasons that you will sponsor my San Diego 3 Day with a donation.

It's time to end my post and get back to work. My son is calling me, and I have a lot of 3 Day letters to write and send today!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home