Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Central Valley Sights

Now that I've finished the story of my family's cross-country move, I've been at a loss of what to talk about next. Travel-wise, we've visited Lake Tahoe, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Yosemite National Park, Sequoia National Park, Morro Bay, Pismo Beach and a bunch of other really cool places in California and nearby. I plan on talking about all of them, but right now I want to take a break from travel talk.

I've been looking for a job that will allow me to continue on my career path and will be mutually beneficial to the organization and myself. But I've also begun to explore other options. Most of the cities around here do not have a park ranger program. In fact, most of the cities that have more than a couple full-time parks and recreation staff are at least an hours drive away. The national parks in the area are about a 90 minute drive and require employees to speak conversational spanish to boot. Since I'm not willing to spend 3 hours a day commuting and I don't know spanish I've been looking toward other avenues. Right now I'm teaching part-time: I facilitate a course on base for junior enlisted personnel about personal responsibility. The course is called PREVENT. I'm also taking a few courses at the local college. So far I've taken Psychology and Sociology. I'm currently taking Nutrition and Microbiology. I may go to nursing school and work toward becoming a Nurse Practitioner. It's a variation on a plan I'd talked about in a post a year ago. I'm also waiting to hear back from the county agriculture office about the possibility of working as an Agriculture and Standards Inspector. I like the idea of this position. It combines some of my law-enforcement background as a park ranger with my biology degree. I'd still be able to continue school for nursing too because the college just started a part-time nursing program.

I'm going to end my post with a few pictures of common sights in this part of the Central Valley. It's a lot different from where I grew up! Agriculture reigns out here and the big cities are about an hour away or further. (Los Angeles and San Francisco are both 3 hours away.)


California Aqueduct System




Central Valley Orchard

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home